Friday, January 31, 2014

Stairs

 
 

Ellie has been crawling like a maniac since she discovered how a couple of weeks ago. Her favorite thing now is to play on the stairs. She has taught herself to stand on the stair and has even been able to crawl up onto the first stair once or twice before tumbling backwards. In the last few days we have had more bumps and bruises than in her first 10 months of life. It is harder on me than it is for her. Half the time I see her tumble over and my heart jumps into my throat, and Ellie doesn't even care. She just keeps babbling to herself. However, one of my nightmares came true this morning when she pulled the basement door open when my back was turned (the handle is broken so we had to remove the knob and I'm still waiting for the replacement) and went tumbling down the entire flight of stairs into the basement. I'm grateful they are carpeted and after about a minute of crying she was wiggling and straining to get out of my arms and back to the floor. I feel like a terrible parent, but since she seems totally fine, part of me is glad that it happened so that I don't have to keep picturing how horrible it would be if it did happen. Now I know that she'll probably survive and be just fine (though I'm still going to take precautions of course!).

No comments: