Monday, August 8, 2011

Antelope Island



I've lived in Utah all my life (excluding one year) and yet I have only been out to Antelope Island once before. I don't remember how old I was. In fact, the only thing I DO remember is eating a buffalo burger which I threw up later that night. Not a great memory. I've also NEVER been swimming in the Great Salt Lake, and only been out to it maybe twice. This last weekend I found out what I was missing, and while thousands of bugs was one thing that I wouldn't have MINDED missing, everything else was pretty great.


We rode our bikes on some of the mountain biking trails out there and were not disappointed. The trails were sandy and sometimes hard to pedal through, but the views were great. We even ran into one of these guys while we were on the trail. Brain was out ahead and the buffalo stopped and glared at him and started to swing his head and paw the ground. Not a great sign.

Brian turned around and came back to the slower folk until the danger had lumbered slowly away.

They aren't kidding when they say you can float in the Great Salt Lake. You can hardly swim because your feet and legs are pushed up to the surface.
Despite the brine shrimp and the SALTY SALTY water, we enjoyed ourselves. The water is warm and you can bob around like a little bouy.


Brian even ate a couple brine shrimp in order to earn five dollars (which translated to papusas back in SLC later that night)

I think one of my favorite things about the whole trip though (besides dutch oven dinner and dessert) was the sunset. It was absolutely gorgeous and my dinky digital camera just cannot do it justice. There was a warm breeze and the crickets were singing as Kati and I watched the sun sink over the water. It was almost as good as being at the ocean. Thanks Kati and Jeff for joining us on another fun adventure!

3 comments:

Kati said...

Thank YOU! It was a blast!

Emily said...

Awesome. I always wanted to go there.

My boys are absolutely sure Brian is one of the Wild Kratts. Google it.

Melissa said...

What a fun adventure....and right in your "own backyard"! See, you don't need to come to San Diego to have a fun beach experience and beautiful sunset (and I'll bet the water in the Great Salt Lake is warmer than the ocean here).
Emily's kids are right....Brian is one of the Wild Kratts!