Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Precious Moments

While I just can't resist this beautiful face, I also have to be honest. Ellie has been teething, and it has been a little bit of a nightmare. Ellie has been such a good baby, but the teething must really bother her, because she has been whiny and grumpy for what seems like weeks. It has nearly driven me to distraction. While she used to enjoy hanging out on her own for a little bit while I got some things done, lately she isn't happy doing one thing for more than a minute or two. Her naps have also gotten shorter, and she often wakes up once or twice at night and needs her binky. 

Then come those moments. Those moments when it feels like your heart will burst, because you can't believe how much you love your precious child. Thoughts of your messy house and tired body fade away, and you are left with an incredible sense of peace, love, and satisfaction. One of those moments came last night after I had finished feeding Ellie and was putting her to bed. She was so tired she fell asleep on my shoulder. She hasn't done that since she was only a couple months old. I held on to her a little longer than I usually do, feeling her warm weight against me and her soft, butterfly breath against my neck. I could have stayed in that moment forever, but endless tiring hours would be worth it for even that momentary sliver of divine joy.

4 comments:

mia said...

So sweet and beautifully said! I feel like Parker and I go through these ups and downs on a daily basis with this new toddler stage! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy each little precious moment!

Allison said...

Aw, it's always so hard when they are cranky and off, but they also always seem to make up for it somehow.

Will randomly blessed baby Ellie in his prayer tonight. It took Dave awhile to figure out what he was saying because we hadn't been talking about Ellie recently or anything, but he was definitely saying "Please bless Baby Ellie." It was very cute.

Mandy and Brian said...

Oh Alli that is so cute! I just love that little Will!

Melissa said...

It is so fun to hear you express some of the same feelings I had for you, my little Mandy Marie. Thanks for reminding me of some of those indescribable moments of joy.